At the eastern end of the Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve, Heidelberg began in 1862 as a trading station built by a German HJ Uekermann.
The town was laid out around the store and named after Uekermann'salma mater.
The Suikerbosrand, which is famous for its hiking trails, is also home to Gauteng's highest point, almost 2000m above sea level.
Heidelberg developed as a typical rural Victorian town. Many buildings dating back to the period between 1890 and 1910 have been preserved.
The corner of this beautiful sandstone edifice was laid in 1890, 25 years after the finding of congregation.
Dr AG Visser renowned early Afrikaans poet, resided and practised as the local doctor in this house.
The old restored farmhouse built in 1850.
The jail was built in 1888 and first served as a hospital and home for the underprivileged. The building has stood empty since 1963 when a new jail was built. It is now being restored.
The graves of woman and children who died during the Second War of Independence.
Beautiful jewellery, gifts and antiques only 250m from De Rozenhof
The reserve has a wide range of plants, birds and animal species. Clearly marked self-guiding hiking trails is laid out. Caravan, picnic and braai facilities are found in all parts of the reserve.
During the Second War of Independence, the Boers built a “bakoond” over the water fountain to hide it from the British forces. In this way, they safe-guarded their supply of water.